Want to really take the "work" out of holiday shopping for friends and family far away? Our Gift Boxes--each containing a cookbook (or recipes in the Holidays in New Mexico box) make a perfect present for any on your list who like chiles and Southwestern dishes or Grilling or Barbecue. We will drop ship any of the boxes to whomever you request.
And..it is a good idea to get your gifts for far away persons off early this year with all of the internet shopping--the delivery services are running behind--just too much to deliver as fast as many wish.
We have 10 Gift Boxes--each around a theme with the spices and ingredients enclosed that make for several yummy meals using recipes in the book contained in the Box.The new ones are our Tex-Mex, Hotter Than Hell and Barbecue boxes.
Or, if you prefer you can give a Gift Certificate for our products for any amount over $25.00. Just email us at email@example.com or call us at 505-243-2622.
Our cooking classes are still on a 20% OFF special until the end of the year. We also create Gift Certificates for our classes which make a gift that keeps on giving.
In this busy busy time of year--I thought you might like 2 favorite quick and Easy recipes from my book pictured above...
CHICKEN TORTILLA CHOWDER
The hearty, full flavor and creamy consistency of this chicken soup tastes like work, but this dish is actually fast and easy to make. Cutting the chicken breast is the most time-consuming part of the recipe. This is a versatile dish that you can vary in many ways. Instead of chicken breasts, you could use leftover roast chicken or turkey, firm-fleshed fish or shellfish with fish stock, roast beef, or ground chuck with beef stock.
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
1, 14 ½ oz. can chicken broth, preferably low sodium, with water added to make 2 cups
2 white or yellow corn tortillas, broken up
1 pound chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 scallions, thinly sliced (some reserved for garnish)
1 ½ tablespoons minced pickled jalapenos with juice
Crushed red caribe chiles
- Place the chicken broth and water in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the tortillas and chicken. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the scallions and jalapenos with juice. Stir to combine well. Simmer for approximately another 5 minutes. Serve garnished with the reserved scallion and, if desired, the cilantro, chiles, and lime to squeeze on the chowder.
Calories 326, Protein 50g, Carbohydrates 14g, Fiber 2g, Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 130mg, Sodium 338mg.
Reprinted with permission from Jane Butel’s Quick & Easy Southwestern Cookbook.
MY FAVORITE WHITE CLAM SAUCE
Easy to make and serve, this favorite sauce has been a Friday night staple since the days when we had o have something delicious, quick and nourishing after the drive from New York City to our weekend house in Mount Tremper, outside Woodstock, NY. If fresh clams are available, select small steamers or use canned clams. If using fresh clams, allow at least 8 ounces of clams per person. Cook them on top of the sauce as the recipe directs.
Yield: 4 servings
10 to 12 ounces linguine
1 ½ Tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley or 1, bunch Swiss chard or Spinach, optional
2, 6 ½ ounce cans chopped clams in clam juice, undrained
¼ cup dry white wine
Chicken bouillon base to taste, optional
1 teaspoon or to taste caribe or pequin quebrado red chile flakes
1. Bring a large pot of salted water, with a few drops of olive oil to boil. Add linguine and cook according to the package directions.
2. In a 9 to 12 inch heavy skillet over medium high heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and cook briefly, stirring. Then add the parsley or chard if using. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the clams and wine and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a bit of chicken bouillon to taste if sauce is to acidic. Drain the pasta and serve the sauce over the hot pasta.
Per Serving: (1/4 recipe) Calories 427, Protein 23 g, Carbohydrates 63 g, Fiber 7 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 33 mg, Sodium 302 mg.