The berry flavor blasts right through the crispy topping. It is quite colorful, and pretty enough for company. You can vary the berries to suit the season – or use frozen if fresh are not available.
Yield: 4 servings
4 cups assorted fresh berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
¼ cup sugar or honey
¼ cup each all-purpose flour and wheat flake cereal, crushed
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pequin chile
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup apple juice concentrate
Frozen yoghurt or low-fat ice cream
1. Preheat the over to 425°F. Rinse the berries and place in a buttered baking dish.
2. Squeeze the lime evenly over the top. Sprinkle with sugar.
3. Combine the flour, cereal, butter, pequin chile, and cinnamon. Stir in the apple juice. Spread the batter over the berries.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the topping is browned and crusty.
5. Serve with frozen yoghurt or ice cream.
Per Serving: Calories 339, Protein 5 g., Carbohydrates 68 g., Fiber 8 g., Fat 7g., Saturated Fat 4 g., Cholesterol 16 mg., Sodium 63 mg.