WELSH STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
I have tried every conceivable cake for a shortcake and none ever come even close to this, especially when baked shortly before serving and really good vanilla is used, such as good quality Mexican vanilla. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients for a fluffy textured cake. This recipe is originally from Wales and has been passed down through the generations on my Father’s Mother’s side, some of whom came from Wales. The original recipe was very crude—calling for butter the size of an egg, a teacup full of this and that.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Temperature: 376 F
Baking Time: 25 minutes or until done
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Butter and lightly flour an 8 x 8 cake pan. Place the butter, cut into pieces in the mixer bowl. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Scrape down the sides and add the sugar and combine well, then turn to medium high speed to add air. Add the egg and combine, then beat at the highest speed until light and fluffy.
3. Combine the flour with the baking powder and salt, then add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the mixer bowl and 1/3 the milk. Combine the ingredients, then beat briefly using medium speed. Repeat until the ingredients are added. Add vanilla and briefly mix.
4. Pour batter into pan, spooning it into the corners of the pan. Bake until golden and pulling from the edges, about 25 minutes. Cool on a rack until ready to serve.
Strawberries and Cream for the Shortcake
1 quart fresh strawberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup vanilla sugar or sugar with ½ teaspoon Mexican vanilla
1. Stem and slice the strawberries before serving. Sprinkle the 1/3 cup sugar and stir and set aside.
2. Either before the meal or just before serving, place the cream in a chilled bowl and using a chilled beater blade or whisk, beat the cream until fluffy, then sprinkle on the sugar. Beat until stiff. Fold in the vanilla and serve with the cake and berries.
3. For each serving, place a square of cake on the plate, cutting the cake into two layers. On the bottom layer, place berries, then top with the whipped cream and some strawberries. Top with the top slice of the cake, more whipped cream and berries. Serve.