Sage Roasted Turkey Breast with Blue Cornbread Dressing
I created this recipe for Cuisine magazine a few ago and it has become one of my most requested recipes. The dressing can be doubled or tripled for stuffing full sized turkeys.
6-8 pound bone-in turkey breast, with skin
1 Tablespoon salt
½ cup Spanish dry sherry
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 Tablespoons thinly sliced sage
Blue Cornbread Dressing, recipe attached
- 1. Salt the inside of the turkey 2-12 hours before roasting. Try not to get salt on the skin as it may crack and release juices during roasting.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375. Place stuffing in a well-buttered, shallow casserole for roasting. Mold dressing into a football shape to accommodate turkey.
- 3. Drizzle sherry over dressing. Drape boned breast skin side up over the dressing and mold to a nice, round uniform shape. Tuck sides and any loose skin under the dressing.
- 4. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle sage over the breast. Roast for 45 minutes, then turn breast and roast for another 45 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of breast reads 165 degrees F.
- 5. Let turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Blue Cornbread Dressing
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
½ cup pinon nuts, toasted
Blue Cornbread, recipe attached
1 cup parched green chiles, chopped
2 Tablespoons minced fresh sage
½ cup chicken broth
Salt to taste
- Melt butter in sauté pan over medium heat. Saute onion and celery until celery is soft and onions begin to turn translucent.
- In large mixing bowl, break cornbread into large pieces. Combine with onion, celery, green chiles, and fresh sage. Blend gently.
- Add chicken broth and pinon nuts. Blend, but do not overmix. Salt to taste.
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup blue corn flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place butter in skillet and place in oven while preheating to melt butter.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. In separate bowl whisk together egg and milk. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour melted butter into mixture. Stir just until combined. Pour batter into skillet and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick come out clean. Cool in skillet.