DUCK ROLL with ORANGE GINGER SAUCE
Yield: 24 appetizers
24 egg roll wraps
3 Lbs. duck confit (see confit recipe below)
2 cups shredded carrots
4 grilled portabella mushrooms (julienned)
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups sliced green onions
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup milk
- 1. In a small bowl, beat milk and egg together with a fork, creating an egg wash. Brush each egg roll wrap generously with wash. Lay each egg roll wrap flat on work surface. Place 1 Tablespoon of duck confit in the center of the wrap.
- 2. Top each with a strip of portabella mushroom, 1 Tablespoon of shredded carrot, 1 Tablespoon green onion, and 1 pinch of cilantro. Gently fold each outer side in, making sure that it is a tight roll. Deep fry for approximately 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
2 whole duck breasts
1 1/2 pounds rendered duck, goose, or chicken fat (see Note)
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 large shallot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 Tablespoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon dried herbes de Provence (see Note)
- 1. Place the duck breasts in a 5 1/2 to 6 quart heavy stock pot or slow cooker and add the fat, garlic, shallot, pepper, and herbes de Provence. Cover, and place over medium heat and when it sizzles, turn the heat to low. Cook until the meat is fork tender—usually about 2 hours.
- 2. If using a slow cooker, set the slow cooker on HIGH, and cook for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to LOW and cook until the duck is very tender--at least 4 and up to 8 hours. Use a slotted spoon to remove the duck from the fat, which can be strained, frozen, and reused.
NOTE: You can buy canned goose fat in gourmet food stores. If you have not accumulated your own duck or goose fat, chicken fat is perfectly acceptable.
*If in a hurry, roast chicken can be substituted for the Confit.
NOTE: If you cannot find herbes de Provence, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of dried tarragon, rosemary, chervil, basil, and thyme leaves.
ORANGE GINGER DIPPING SAUCE
½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
Juice of one lime (approximately 2 tablespoons lime juice)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
4 Tablespoons Siracha Chile
2 Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, add cilantro last; allow to sit at least 10 minutes before serving.